February 12, 2010

RIP L'enfant Terrible (17 March 1969 – 11 February 2010)

I'm still shocked and saddened at the news that Alexander McQueen was found dead at his London home on Thursday morning, nine days after his mother's death (she was buried today). I still can't believe it. The wonderful hooligan of english fashion is no more. It's funny how someone can be a total stranger and yet touch so many hearts and minds. He was big on shock tactics, a true showman but he was a genuine trend setter. An innovator. This is a man who at three years old, drew a picture of Cinderella 'with a tiny waist and a huge gown' on his sister's bedroom wall. By his own admission, the 'pink sheep' of his family! He leaves behind a legacy of shock, outrage, fun, frivolity and THE outmost style.

I'll never forget his sewing 'I am a cunt' into the lining of a jacket he worked on for Prince Charles...the tush revealing jeans dubbed 'the bumsters'...that lavish recreation of a shipwreck for his spring 2003 collection.... the  Alien and Armadillo shoes at his 2010 spring/summer collection. Outrageous but oh-such fun!


The man brought a smile on my face when he said,
"I was sure of myself and my sexuality and I've got nothing to hide. I went straight from my mother's womb onto the gay parade" and how can I forget "Clothes and jewellery should be startling, individual. When you see a woman in my clothes, you want to know more about them. To me, that is what distinguishes good designers from bad designers."
How could I resist? I will always admire and remember him for his refusal to compromise his vision . Long live The Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment